Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Information
Dare to Care Food Bank is closely following developments with the COVID-19 challenge, especially for individuals who are food insecure. We prioritize the health and safety of our community, volunteers, and staff, and we are taking extra precautions to safely respond to increased food needs during this time.
Our COVID-19 task force meets frequently to identify operational changes needed to ensure food assistance is maintained during this volatile period. Responding to crisis is a team effort and we know you are experiencing this alongside us. We are grateful for the community’s support in making our response efforts possible.
If you or someone you know needs food assistance, we are here to help. The list below will be updated as additional food distribution sites are added.
- Visit our Need Food page to locate a Dare to Care distribution center near you or call 502-966-3821. While our distribution centers remain open, many are employing a drive-through food box model to help ensure social distancing. Please call prior to visiting, as some pantries and kitchens are temporarily closed for the protection of their volunteers.
- Dare to Care’s Kids Cafe sites are providing Grab & Go Meals for children 18 and under. Click here for locations and hours.
- Several school districts are providing meals to students during school closures. Click here for JCPS locations serving on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Click here for New Albany/Floyd County locations. Click here for Greater Clark County locations.
- In addition to searching our map for food assistance, Harrison County residents can click here for a list of resources shared by the Harrison County Community Foundation.
- In coordination with Kroger and out of an abundance of caution, we have temporarily suspended the Zero Hunger Mobile Market.
Want to help?
- If you would like to support our COVID-19 response efforts, please consider making a donation here. This allows us to use your gift to meet the greatest need. Every $1 donated helps provide 3 meals.
- Volunteers are needed for various projects at Dare to Care’s warehouse. We have limited volunteer shifts to 10 volunteers at a time and adjusted our usual volunteer model in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. All volunteers must be at least age 14. Click here to sign up.
- Our partner agencies are operational and some need additional volunteer support. These sites schedule their own volunteers, so you will need to communicate with them directly. Follow this link to find a site near you. Many of our partners are experiencing a high volume of calls, so please be prepared to share the following information: email address, phone number, availability, and what type of support you can provide (food distribution, transportation/delivery, or as-needed support).
- Another way to help during this time is through the Louisville COVID-19 Match. This service connects healthy young adults to an elder or an individual who is at high risk in our community in order to coordinate the delivery of essential supplies if/when needed. Click here for details.
- If Dare to Care has helped you during COVID-19, please consider sharing your story to inspire others to get involved or to get the help they need. Click here to share your story.
Planning to attend an event?
The safety of our community, volunteers, and staff remains our highest priority. Therefore, we have postponed our Taste of Derby Festival in accordance with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control.